29 July 2011

It's surprising how much memory is built around things unnoticed at the time. ~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

Today, work was as usual. Woke up early in the morning feeling tired, as if I hadn't had enough sleep (in fact I did). Time passed as I worked through the day, always looking forward for the time to come where I can go home, have peace and quiet. Besides waiting for that time to come, I always look forward to receiving a text message from him. Only, I will be getting it much less frequent than the last a month or so. 'Morning, mommy >.<' That's what I'll get whenever he's awake (even though the hour has already passed morning). He had gone back to Switzerland on Monday. Yea..to continue his study abroad. I miss him..


I can still remember that day very well. I went to the airport to welcome him home, together with his parents. It was kind of awkward, yet exciting. It surprised him when he saw me there, wasn't expecting me. After that, we had a nice time together alone, with his parents, my parents and our friends. 


We often had dinners together with his parents. I'm still a little nervous when I'm in front of them. Speechless, or should I say, I have no topics to bring out to them. Yet, his parents treated me well, always bringing us to have nice dinners that made us so full in the stomach. They talked about their son a lot, especially the father. His son's as cute as he is. From them, I have learned a lot about him. His father always makes fun of him and tells jokes whereas his mother talks less. I found myself enjoying the time, listening to them. "Eean ah, loves to eat the wan tan mee in Gopeng." "Eean's very scared of the cold." "I found that my son has grown up more after coming back from Switz." "Take your Vitamin capsule." I told Eean one day, that your parents missed you very much. He said, "I know. That's why I try to have dinner with them every night" - Eean's parents work from morning until seven or eight o'clock in the evening. I held his hand in mine, looked him in the eye, and smiled. We even had a few breakfast and lunch with his grandfather, sometimes in Gopeng, sometimes in town. For breakfast, he treated his grandfather nice dim sum. For lunch, his grandfather treated him nice fish and chicken. Watching them being together made me happy. 

Eean's a bit shy in front of my parents (so cute ^^). He's less talkative in front of them compared to when he's with other people, including me. But, I could see him trying for the past one month here. He tried to start conversation and make jokes (somehow I was the one smiling or laughing the loudest). He celebrated my sister's birthday together but after that went to MP with his gang of pals. Recently, he's been very friendly with one of my sisters. When I was skyp-ing with him one night, my sister shouted to him "Jie fuuuuuu.." I was like >.< what the..and he replied, "San jie ^^". Gosh..both of them were being so cute. They even teased each other in Fb. Again, I was happy, looking at their smiling faces.


He spent most of his time with his friends (as I was working part-time from early morning until afternoon) and also sleeping. Hehe. He likes to sleep. But we had dinner every Wednesday and dates on Thursday (as I was off that day). When we're together in the car, he'd always asked,"What would you like to have today?" My answers were always the same - "You choose la." We ate a lot for the past one month or so. I didn't mind gaining some weights. He brought to have Japanese food, western food and food at hawker stalls. Also, ice-cream! We had movies together and gatherings with friends. Sometimes, I would watch him play tennis with his friends. And, sometimes, I would watch him play PS at his friend's house. The best time we had had together was at Genting. We went there with another couple, who were also our close friends. Within that two-days-one-night stay, I felt that it's good to have gone there again. The whole, whole day..we were together. We held hands, gave each other warm hugs, teasing each other, looking after each other..and took a lot of pictures. Looking back at those photos, it makes my heart leaps. Looking at his face..makes me misses him more..


On a particular day, I went back to the airport again, together with his parents..and him. That day, was the day of departure. Along the journey, we said nothing and just held hands. Once in a while I would rest on his lap..and once in a while, he would rest on mine. I miss his warmth from his strong arm and hand, sometimes stroking my hair, sometimes hugging me tight. I feel safe. Always. I like to play with his hair, all short and curly. And I miss it as well. He was the first to cry when the gate to his light opened. His mother, couldn't held back, let the tears fell as she hugged him. My eyes were wet from the moment I saw it. "He's really leaving.." I thought. He turned to his father, who gave him a strong hug, and sobbed a little. When he turned to face me, my face was already wet with tears. The hug that he gave me..was warm and soft..for once, I really didn't want to let go. But then, it's time..so I whispered to him, "See you in Skype.." He wiped away my tears, nodded, and we went to the gate with our hands held..As our hands let go, I felt restless..We stood on the balcony, watching the distance between us getting further and further apart..My tears started back after I was back in the car..and I fell asleep..


"Remember what you told me during the last departure? Don't say 'goodbye'. Instead, say 'see you again'. Wait for me. I will be back again. See you again, my love." The night before we went to the airport, he reminded me again and again..

~love & peace~







No comments: